Homemade Cheese Pizza
This easy 3-step homemade cheese pizza recipe is the perfect crowd-pleaser and will soon become a firm favorite in your home.
In this article, we share the elements that go into making a great homemade cheese pizza, the ingredients and steps to making one, and then a few ideas for toppings, should you want to elevate your pizza to Gourmet status!
If you’re into homemade cheesy recipes, take a look at our post about The Best Grilled Cheese Recipe.
What goes into a homemade cheese pizza?
There are 5 key components that you’ll need to make a homemade cheese pizza:
- Dough: A good pizza starts with a good dough. The dough should be light and airy with a crispy crust that is neither too thick nor too thin. The dough should be allowed to rise correctly in the refrigerator or at room temperature to achieve the perfect texture.
- Sauce: The tomato sauce is a critical component of the pizza, and choosing a high-quality tomato sauce with a balanced flavor is essential. The sauce should not be too sweet or acidic and should be applied sparingly to avoid making the pizza soggy.
- Cheese: Cheese is perhaps the most important ingredient in a cheese pizza. Mozzarella is the classic choice for pizza, but other cheeses, such as Cheddar or Provolone, can also be used. The cheese should be grated fresh and spread evenly over the pizza to ensure every bite has a cheesy goodness.
- Toppings: Toppings are a matter of personal preference, but the key is to use fresh, high-quality ingredients.
- Seasonings: A great homemade cheese pizza is incomplete without some seasonings to enhance the flavors. A drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of sea salt, and a dash of dried oregano or basil can add delicious flavor to your pizza.
How to make homemade cheese pizza
- 1 pound pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roll out the pizza dough to your desired thickness and shape on a lightly floured surface. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the dough, leaving about 1/2 inch of space around the edges; sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the tomato sauce, and then sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the pizza, and then season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake the pizza in the preheated oven (450°F (230°C) for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Topping ideas for homemade cheese pizza
If you want to use your cheese pizza as a foundation, here are a few ideas for additional toppings:
- Caramelized onions, our Sweet Fire Goat Cheese, pistachios, and arugula
- Glacier Wildfire Blue Cheese, Streb Meats Fresh Cut Smoked Bacon, and torn fresh basil
- Parmesan, roasted red bell peppers, and anchovies
- Artichokes, roasted oyster mushrooms, and Gruyere
Wrapping it up
We hope this post inspires you to make your own homemade cheese pizza! All the cheeses mentioned in this post are available on our Cheese Products Page.